My friend Mary found out she had ovarian cancer last fall. She has been a trooper and finished her chemo in March. During this time, she has been involved in several programs available for people with cancer, such as yoga.
She talked to me one day and said there was a cancer relay going on this past weekend from Gettysburg, Pa to Washington DC and she was volunteering at a checkpoint and was I busy-could I help out. I happened to be available and was looking forward to helping with this effort. After speaking with the person she suggested, I signed up for a transition spot in Fairfield, PA.
This past Saturday was cool, but not raining. My volunteer shift was from 11am-2pm. I found the spot easily enough and was there plenty early. At about 10:40, I called the volunteer coordinator to ask what I should start doing since the next volunteer was not scheduled to come in until 12pm. Imagine my chagrin when I found out I had signed up for a Friday slot and not a Saturday slot and the runners had come through 24 hours earlier.
Lesson learned, always clarify items. I did not know the race was Friday/Saturday. I only have very limited information from my friend Mary and the day never came up in conversation with any of the other people I spoke with regarding the relay. Nor did it appear on the materials I received. from the volunteer coordinator. They assumed I knew and I assumed I was signing up for a Saturday time slot. Oops.
It opened up a little more time for me and I was able to get other errands done that day. Hopefully I learned for the next time something like this comes up!!
No comments:
Post a Comment